As a faculty or staff member, your email signature is an extension of Puget Sound's letterhead and stationery system. Using consistent signatures in @pugetsound.edu email accounts is an opportunity for campus members to align electronic communications with the university's visual identity and create a cohesive experience for all who interact with the Puget Sound online. Additionally, clear and consistent email signatures present a professional appearance for conducting business through email.
The following are recommended guidelines for faculty and staff members using an @pugetsound.edu email account:
- Font: Use Arial, except for "The University of Puget Sound," which should be Times and all caps.
- Avoid images, logos, and vCards: Most email clients process these as attachments, and many block messages as a result by default. This includes the Puget Sound logo and logos for social media platforms.
- Social media: Feel free to promote Puget Sound's main social media accounts or those of your office, department, or group. Links are preferred over social media icons or platform logos.
- Less is more: Email signatures should be fewer than 12 lines. Use pipes (|) to separate multiple elements on the same line, such as social media links.
- URL conventions: There is no need to include "www." in a URL unless the URL won't work without it. For example, use pugetsound.edu instead of www.pugetsound.edu.
- Pronouns: Sharing personal pronouns (such as she/her, he/him, and they/them) is a step toward normalizing a wider variety of experiences and identities on campus because it supports the idea that gender should not be assumed. If you are comfortable sharing, you may add your pronouns under your name.
- Do not include the following in @pugetsound.edu email signatures:
- Personal information, such as personal websites, personal blog addresses, quotes, department tag lines, etc. (Links to personal sites and blogs related to your work at Puget Sound are OK.)
- Links to or logos of websites, groups, or organizations not related to Puget Sound.
- Background images or decorative elements, such as clipart, graphics, emoticons, etc.
- The email address from which the email message was sent.
If you have any questions about email signatures, please contact Michaela Alden ’13 at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Standard Email Signature Format
Name | Title
UNIVERSITY OF PUGET SOUND
Office or Department Name
1500 N. Warner St. #xxxx
Tacoma, WA 98416-xxxx
Fax or cell number (optional)
University or department social media links: Facebook | Instagram | LinkedIn | Twitter (optional)
Sample Email Signature
Michaela Alden ’13 | Project Manager
UNIVERSITY OF PUGET SOUND
Office of Communications
1500 N. Warner St. #1041
Tacoma, WA 98416-1041