General university degree requirements stipulate that 1) at least four units of the major or three units of the minor be taken in residence at Puget Sound; 2) students earn a GPA of 2.0 in courses taken for the major or the minor; and 3) all courses taken for a major or minor must be taken for graded credit. Any exceptions to these stipulations are indicated in the major and minor degree requirements listed below.
Requirements for the Bachelor of Arts in Communication Studies
- One unit selected from COMM class numbered 150–199;
- COMM 230 and 240;
- One unit selected from COMM 343, 344, or 373;
- One unit selected from COMM 330 or 331;
- Five elective units selected and approved through advising from COMM, 291, 299, 308, 321, 322, 346, 347, 348, 350, 351, 352, 353, 360, 361, 368, 370, 381, 384, 399, 422, 444, 450, 460, 461, 482, 498 to include at least one elective unit at the 400-level; once requirements for #3 and #4 above have been met, additional courses from 330, 331, 343, 344, or 373 may be counted as an elective.
- Only one 200-level elective and one unit of COMM 498 may be counted toward the major.
Requirements for the Minor in Communication Studies
Completion of 5 units, to include: COMM 230 and 240; three additional elective units from the 100-, 200-, or 300-level courses (at least two of which are 300-level courses). Theory (343, 344, 373) and Methods (330, 331) courses can also count as elective units. A single unit of COMM 150-190 elective can count toward the minor if completed in the freshman or sophomore year. Students who have not completed COMM 150-190 by the beginning of their junior year should start the minor with either COMM 230 or 240.
Notes on the Major and Minor
- Students majoring or minoring in Communication Studies must earn a grade of C- or higher in all courses which are taken in fulfillment of a major or minor requirement.
- 400-level courses are for majors only.
- The Communication Studies Department reserves the option of determining, on an individual basis, a time limit on the applicability of courses to a major or minor.
- Students may apply no more than one course to both core and Communication Studies minor requirements.
- Students may apply up to two approved courses of study abroad credit toward their Communication Studies major.
- Minors are required to have a secondary advisor in Communication Studies and meet with their advisor upon declaration of the minor.